Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

27 November 2007

Pacifier - Boon or Bane?

18 months & 5 days old.....

Since the previous post, there was no improvement in Ethan's chewing habit. He has punctured another 2 pacifiers and I bought another one last night. Since it's (very likely that this is) due to teething, there's nothing much I can do to prevent him from chewing on things. I just try to limit him from sucking the pacifier but when he cries, I would normally give in. His cries drive me nuts especially at night. Since he only want his pacifier when he sleeps, I think it's not that bad lar. The only thing is I have to keep on checking his pacifier to detect the tiny holes.

Last night, he woke up for milk and had difficulties getting back to sleep. Normally, I would just give him the pacifier and leave him alone. But last night, I slept with him and pat him back to sleep without giving him the pacifier. It worked. Guess I just need more perseverance.

This time, I kept the the punctured pacifiers and did a little test on them. I tore it apart with my bare hands and it's as easy as tearing up a sachet of Mc Donald's chili sauce. It's that easy. The hole (yes, only 1 hole) on the pacifier were very tiny, like only 1-2 mm in diametre. This tiny little hole can cause disaster if we are not careful. To all parents out there, please check on your kid's pacifier for this little hole. You have to pull on it in order to see the little hole because it's hard to see with our naked eyes.

This is the result of my little experiment.

See the danger? What if the tiny part come off while our kids are
sucking the punctured pacifier? The one on the left was
Ethan's old pacifier, which I kept as spare. The other one was
courtesy of my sister as Ethan punctured his pacifier at my mum's
house the other day and I did not bring extra one.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! this is so dangerous!!! why don't give him teether to sooth his teething. bigger and certainly harder to bite off anything..

LHS said...

oh,gosh,that's dangerous.
he has sharp teeth indeed :)

Baby Darren said...

my god..ur son really geng chow...now I better go and check on darren's pacifier. It is so dangerous...

I was thinking of weaning him off pacifier too but it is really useful when he wakes up at night..same thinking like you, guess no harm letting him having it for some time. Maybe i should wean him off earlier now...

jazzmint said...

aiyoo so dangerous and he got very strong teeth

slavemom said...

Good experiment and discovery. ;) Wud nvr expect such a small hole to tear up like that eh.

Nadia said...

Oh wow! I never knew about this. Irfan sucks on pacifiers too, but so far I think hasn't punctured any. Will check his pacifiers later. Thanks for the heads up! :)

TheBlueRanger said...

esther,
no, he doesn't want that

huisia,
yeah

baby darren,
it's ok for darren since he doesn't bite on it like Ethan

jazzmint,
ya lor

slavemom,
just sharing some experience here :-)

nadia,
no problem. i never expect this to happen actually.

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

tried to leave a comment the other day but i think my internet connection was too slow.

reading this i feel so worried; i'm definitely going to check gib's pacifiers in daylight tomorrow to see closely if there's a hole! *worried*

Kelly said...

Wow! That's really dangerous!

I'm so lucky to successfully wean my 2 gals off from pacifier.

Wen Wen slept without pacifier when she was 18 months.
Lots of hard work!!! Every night have to pat her for at least 20-30 mins. Sometimes it could goes up to 45 mins etc...
After few days or so... I'm tired of patting her. So i closed my eyes and pretended i have slept. Of coz she was rolling up & down, left & right the whole bed, couldn't sleep. She babbled a lotssss. I just ignored her. It continues for few days...
There it goes... no more pacifier!

For Xuan Xuan, http://kelly-journey.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html
Please scroll down...

TheBlueRanger said...

babybooned,
yeah, i face the same problem at home esp. at night. the connection was so slow sometimes i just gave up.

i think when babies are teething, they bound to chew on things. it's just the matter of whether or not they are able to puncture it.

kelly,
i will update mine in another posts...hehe..almost the same like Wen Wen

Sarah said...

yikes! thank goodness you managed to wean him off. he can choke on that thing.

TheBlueRanger said...

phantasma,
or else i'll have sleepless nights..hehe

Anonymous said...

buy generic ativan ativan dosage anxiety - ativan dosage 6 mg