Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

23 November 2007

'Pokai' Month

18 months & 1 day old.....

First of all, I got 4 wedding invitations in December. Ouch! Big hole in my pocket. And then, Ethan's chewing habit made the hole even bigger. In the last 4 weeks or so, Ethan had destroyed 5 pacifiers (it's 5 ok) and 2 teats for the milk bottle. I suspect it's the work of the two cuspid.

He has been using the variable flow teat from Avent since he was 3-4 months old. I normally get my friend's help to buy it for me from Singapore. I paid only half of the price here. Luckily, if not more 'pokai'. I normally change the teat after 6 months of use or when it turned matt/dull. Now Ethan seems to expedite the process by puncturing them. Sigh......

Too bad I didn't take photos of the spoilt teat and pacifiers because I was so horrified and I dumped them into the dustbin straight away. I'm scared that he will swallow the torn portion and choke himself. I still remember the incident when a 1-year-old-plus toddler died because he was choked by a pacifier.

I have been thinking of a solution because I cannot be replacing the teats and pacifiers at this pace. For the teats, I will replace it with the soft spout. I think (and I hope) he will not be able to puncture it. My sister gave me a soft spout and a handle (like the photos below) when Ethan was born. The two things can be used with Avent's milk bottle and it functions like a trainer cup. I let Ethan used them when he drinks water but when he started using drinking cup (with straw) few months back, I put them aside. It's high time now to switch him to trainer cup for milk.

For pacifier, I'm giving him the old one, which I kept for emergencies (like now lar!). At the same time, I try to wean him off the dummy. Actually, he has been taking his afternoon nap at the day care without pacifier. But, it's a different story at home. It's already difficult getting him to sleep let alone doing it without a pacifier. I have tried a few times without much success but last night I managed to lull him to sleep without it. Unfortunately, he woke up in the middle of the night looking for his pacifier. Needless to say, I gave in.

(The one in the photo lasted only 2 weeks.)

16 comments:

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

happy 18 mths ethan!! That's a cute pic of u with the pacifier. U got strong teeth, hehe

Anonymous said...

wow! real pukkai with so many red bomb! haha

walau! ethan'e teeth so mighty strong!i think you should give him beaker instead.. maybe when he try to chew and suddenly different feel (too hard for him) he'll give up to chew things .. i don't have any experience coz ashley don't use paci

Anonymous said...

When I read that Ethan chewed off his teat, it reminds me of the incident you shared in your post. Really scary heh... I hope the weaning effort will succeed soon. Meantime, just have to constantly check on his teat many times a day. Good luck ya.

Baby Darren said...

wah..ethan u very geng leh..can destroy so many paci and teats...thank god u haven't started biting ur mommy.. or else, flash also come out lor...

karenyiau said...

Me too got 2 weddings in Nov & 2 in Dec, pokai also wei.....

Btw, Dillon have just successfully wean off his pacifier right before he turns 2 next month, maybe you can read about it if you plan to wen off Ethan too. :)

jazzmint said...

wahh 5!! that's alot!!!

me oso pk next month, 3 weddings

bZbee said...

hi..ur son has extra calcium...btw, i also bought all sorts of pacifier but unfortunately dd still prefers my booby to rubbery pacifier..will link your to mine..ok??

bZbee said...

Hi, u got tagged..

TheBlueRanger said...

mommibee,
thanks! and you're right

esther,
beaker? haha! actually i'm not very determined to wean him. see how things go lar.

etc-mommy,
latest incident, i checked his paci in the middle of the night, no hole. the next morning, big hole *slap head*

baby darren,
bite mummy sure kena whacked already lor

karenyiau,
congratulations! i thinks it's a big achievement.

jazzmint,
more to come! another 2 damaged.

bzbee,
hey, thanks for dropping by. thanks for the link too. booby or paci, i think it's ok as long as they don't chew on it. haha!

will check out on the tag :-)

LHS said...

more to come...
my Jo even now still bites the avent teat, normally 1 teat per week.

Anonymous said...

Hi BR--OK, that photo is very cute, but the pacifier looks almost as big as he is (smile)!

TheBlueRanger said...

huisia,
you're right!

woaw! 1 teat per week is reaaaally a lot ler.

the new parent,
haha! thanks

slavemom said...

Hi! Ethan and CE share the same birth date. ;) Lately, my boy likes to bite the paci too. But lucky for me, he's weaning it off himself now.

TheBlueRanger said...

slavemom,

what a coincidence. you're luckier than me in this case. haha!

thanks for dropping by!

Kelly said...

Ethan, very clever posing leh! So cute...
Bila free meetup?

TheBlueRanger said...

kelly,
when he's in good mood, he will pose. otherwise he won't look at the camera.

eh, i'm free almost every weekend ler. will call you about that.