Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

26 October 2007

Potty Training

17 months & 4 days old.....

I’ve just started to potty train Ethan at home. I know many kids are fully potty trained by now and their mothers are very proud of their kids. Well, I would be proud too. I cannot explain why I didn’t start to potty train him earlier but I guess it’s still not too late to do it now. Probably, I’m one lazy mum. I think potty training requires a lot of patience and discipline. But I’m ready to do it now.

My mum bought a potty for Ethan when he was a new born. So, I use that for the time being. Whenever he poops, I will quickly put him on the potty and let him finish his business. The first time I put him on the potty, he refused to sit on it, even with the diaper on. After a few times, he can sit longer but needs to be distracted and the ideal place to do that is in the bathroom. He likes to go in there because he will think it’s shower time. Yeah, he loves shower very very much. I let him sit on the potty with the diaper on mainly because there’s no point taking it off when it’s already soiled and I dread to clean the poop-smeared-potty.

The current potty is getting a bit too small for Ethan. I’ve been looking for a potty, which can be used for longer term. I went to many online baby stores, be it local or overseas, and I found the type that I want to buy. It’s potty + stepstool + removable seat like the one shown below (from Graco). I especially like the removable seat, which I can put on the WC when Ethan is older. If you are not sure which type of potty to buy, I suggest you read up some guide for potty training and important features of a potty.


10 comments:

Lady Gargle said...

Remember when my mom was potty training my youngest brother and it was me who had to clean the potty ewww hehehehe.

Saw MC's potty and it looks nice with cushioned seat and all.

Anonymous said...

i think people sure thumbs up when they know whoever baby is successfully potty trained but i myself is deeply missing those days when ashley still on disposable diapers especially the later stage when she's on pull-up pants type! heaven!!haha so, this make me the laziest mom huh! coz i'm really steaming & burning whenever ashley is doing her business inside those public toilets!!we could never in control of the hygienic state of public toilets but we can always 'control our movements' when we are inside that cramp yet filthy and lets not continue with contagious virus or bacteria. but .. lets just say i'm having a difficult time teaching her the essential acrobatic movement for safe and cleaness process as possible inside there :{

jazzmint said...

wah that's a nice one...yah get a good one, they'll perfer to sit on it. mine is from first year

Anonymous said...

Hi BR--it's good to start young, but don't think of it as a pressure situation. Interestingly, I introduced my little one to her potty at about the same time, but never pressured her. We just worked with her slowly, at her pace and by the time she was a little past 3, she was fully trained--both day and night.

Whatever potty seat you use make it comfortable and accessible to your little one. Ease of use is so important (smile).

TheBlueRanger said...

frankensteina,
will check mc out but their stuffs are always pricey

TheBlueRanger said...

esther,
woaw! never thought of the public toilets but guess boys will be less tricky

jazzmint,
nice hor, don't know the price tag yet

the new parent,
thanks for the tips. i never thought pressuring ethan because that will give me pressure too and i cant handle pressure well :-)

Anonymous said...

ha! now that you pointed out, you can always 'throw the ball'/ show ethan to daddy whenever he need to go to washroom! and just leave him under dad's supervision & all the coaching!! wow!! this is clever ;) headache free!!

TheBlueRanger said...

esther,
you are brilliant lar!

Baby Darren said...

oh...glad that u have decided to start ethan on potty training. I am still hesitated as i think darren is not ready yet (based on those checklist to see whether ur child is ready for potty train). Most of all, I think I am not ready yet too. My mom always complained when seeing darren poo in his diaper.

Somehow I feel it is a big "project", so i dread to start it..arrggghhh....

TheBlueRanger said...

baby darren,
i only take very small steps in training ethan. at the moment, i want him to get familiarise with the potty first and to let him know that he should poo sitting down and not standing up. it's still a loooong way to go.