Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

17 April 2007

TV for Kids

I was talking to my colleague the other day and was gossiping as usual. One of the things that she told me make me wonder how many parents out there are doing it. She told me that her boss doesn't allow the kids to watch tv at all. I'm a person who love to watch tv especially movies and chinese drama. I can study well even I watched tv everyday when I was schooling. So, what harm can a tv cause? Of course, if a kid is glued to the tv day in day out, it's a big no-no lar. But not letting the kids to watch tv is a bit strange for me. We can let them watch tv and at the same time introduce more activities including indoor and outdoor. I think moderation is always the best.

For me, I have started to let Ethan watch tv. I bought a Barney cd for him and he loves the songs. I have started to sing Twinkle Twinkel Little Star to him when he was very young and whenever the song is played from the cd now, he will stay still and give 100% concentration. That's the only time I see him doing that and I love to see it. No other things can keep him so quiet. But I don't let him watch tv everyday lar. It's only one of his activities at home apart from playing with his toys, crawling around and climbing everywhere. I bought a few books for him and tried to read to him but the only thing he likes about the books is biting them. Sigh..

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with you. moderation is the key to balance. sometimes good tv programme helps to educate too.

Nadia said...

Irfan somehow doesn't like to watch his VCDs. I have no idea why. He prefers to play with his toys or read (more like flip) his books or crawl and panjat everywhere.

But I agree, moderation is the key to balance. There are so many educational tv programmes these days anyway? Kesian your boss' kids...

LHS said...

first time here..
moderation should be ok.
my aunty totally ban her daughter from TV, very poor girl there..

karenyiau said...

I think those educational program is an eye opener to the kids.

The important part is, we must still encourage our kids to do other things eg. reading, playing toys, outdoor activites & etc, not letting them to spend most of the day just watching TV.

How long can your boss stop the kids from watching TV?

Anonymous said...

Psst.. I have tag you in Sean blog.

Anonymous said...

moderation is the balance. Though I dislike my kids to be glued on tv, but I do let them watch. I don't deny that there are good educational programs. They do learn from watching Discovery Channel, Animal Planets and National Geography on top of other children educational programs.

I don't let them watch alone if possible, I sit with them and explain to them, usually after we watch documentary, we proceed to find books to look for related topic they have seen on TV.

I don't want my kids to be the odd one out in school when they other children are talking about TV cartoon character and they seems to knew nothing about it

Anonymous said...

my daughter's birth date is same as your son BUT she is 6 years older hehehe :)

Anonymous said...

yeap... moderation is the way... I let Darrius watch a lot of kids singing VCDs and he loves them. Acyually TV is my saviour or else I can't get much done in a day if not for the TV to keep Darrius bz. He will play his toys and look at the screen when something he likes shows up... he even follow some of the actions and dance too...

Princess Mom said...

This depends on the parents. I dont really expose my girls to TV but I do find that they pick up lots of things from the tv. Rowena does not watch tv but is around when the tv is on and now at 11 months, she can recognize songs

jazzmint said...

ausually reading book will not start so early cause they are more interested in biting hehe...once they are 1.5, i think the attention span starts to kick in and u'll see them more interested in it

TheBlueRanger said...

Esther,
Exactly..

Nadia,
I would like Ethan to prefer books also but somehow it didn't turn out that way..

Huisia,
Welcome to my blog. Yeah, poor girl..

Karenyiau,
I wonder if the bossie ever know if the kids 'curi curi' watch tv when they are alone.

Nicole,
Wuhuuu... a tag. Wait yeah, I snap photo first.

Dragonmummy,
I like your way of bringing up children.

Misha,
Er, first time here? Welcome.

Angeleyes,
Wah, haven't seen your comments for sooooooo long.

hmom,
Welcome.

Jazzmint,
I hope it turns out the same for Ethan too.