Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

22 March 2007

Nanny Hunting

Ethan falls sick frequently. I would say once every month on average. Every time he falls sick, my heart really ache and the question 'should I send him to a nanny instead?' always pop up. I know some will ask why we chose day care instead of nanny in the first place? I always got funny look from people when I told them I send Ethan to the day care. You know, that kind of look that tells you that you are a lousy mother, who doesn't bother about her child's welfare. I just brushed it off because I know what I'm doing. Me and hubby have discussed about it.

It's not that we don't want a nanny, but it's difficult to find a good and reliable nanny. I wanted somebody I know or at least someone recommended by somebody I know. I've came across a few advert at my apartment offering babysitting services. It's a piece of A4 paper pasted on the notice board/lift. It's very convenient because either hubby or me can send and pick Ethan up, no need transport. But then, I don't know these people. No doubt I can interview them and look at their place but who knows what happen when we are not around. You know people living in apartment hardly talk to their neighbours. Some more my place is new, just about two-year old. So, how well do we know our neighbours?

Ethan was under my late aunt's care in the first two months after my maternity leave. Then, she said she cannot cope. She was taking care of another boy of around 3 years of age. We were searching high and low for a nanny because I don't want to force my aunt to continue. I knew she had health problem so, I'm scared that something bad might happen. We asked her neighbour but she said she was committed to someone else. Then, my mother recommended me to her neighbour. She said ok at first but pulled out few hours later.

Then, we decided to put Ethan under day care. We knew from the very beginning that the only downside of it is he will fall sick more often. We also know that Ethan falls sick easily. He has a very sensitive nose. We endure that. Flu and cough is common I think. But how about viral fever? diarrhea and vomiting? Hand Foot & Mouth Disease? Ethan is only 10 months old (yeah, today he is exactly 10 months old) and he has been through all these. Is this common? I was told that children will fall sick eventually when they attend school and some said let them build up their immune system earlier because every time they are sick they will build up their immune system. But no parents would like to see a sick child so often. Furthermore, when our babies are sick, parents tend to quarrel more.

Of course, there are many other good things about the daycare. I'm not worry that he will spend the whole day sleeping or watching tv. I've heard stories about nannies as well. At the daycare, he mingles with other kids and has music class and other activities. I would say that Ethan is a very sociable and friendly baby. He is not scared of people.

In case you ask, how about grandparents? Well, my parents-in-law are living in a place across the sea. My mother has backache problem so, afraid to commit herself. I understand that. After all, she raised the three of us, me and my two younger sisters, and I don't want to tie her down again.

I've got two nannies, whom I'm going to see by today or tomorrow. I got the contact of one of them from the paed. She approached the paed. but the paed. told me that he doesn't know this lady personally but can give it a try. The other one from the Mead Johnson forum. I hope we will have better luck this time. I really want Ethan to grow up healthily.

12 comments:

Pinky said...

Hi - I understand your predicament. I have a referral if you want it. was recommended to me by one of my consultants.

etceteramommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
etceteramommy said...

It's not easy to find a good nanny. I wish you all the best..

Happy 10 months old to Baby Ethan!!!

:P

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

Happy 10 months old! I can imagine how ur heart must have ached each time Ethan fell sick and boy, has he gone thru a lot. I wish you all the best in getting a good, trustworthy and reliable nanny.

Angeleyes said...

Poor Ethan.
Hope you will find a good nanny for him soon.
Sometimes have to close one eye when we put our child in another person's care or worst come to worst have to be SAHM... like myself coz I just can't trust a stranger to care for Darrius.
Btw, Darrius is exactly 6 mths older than Ethan!

Nadia said...

Happy 10 months Ethan!

Don't worry about it. I know you're trying your very best to find the best solution for him. He's a very lucky boy! =)

CL said...

Happy 10th months old, Baby Ethan.

I was looking for a nanny too. Could not find one. And I did not want to put Malaika in a day care centre. And I dont have any relative to look after her. So the solution is stay at home.

jazzmint said...

all da best. i'm sure it'll be a good nanny :)

Sasha Tan said...

what u can do is....first get pneumococcal jab.
Then show up suddenly to the nanny house for a visit then u will know hows the condition of the nanny's place. That 's what i did.

Dun worry about getting sick and all. They develop immunity to the germs after each time they get sick.

Happy 10 months!

CutiePrincessMummy said...

This is a common problem for working parents.

Hv u considered to get a maid and put in ur mum's house? Like mine, my maid is the one who taking care of my princesses, but am putting them in my mil house. At least we have someone to eye on the maid and the kids as well.

Happy 10 months Ethan! :)

N a d i a said...

agreed with shasha. anyway, good luck my fren!;-) and don't worry too much.

TheBlueRanger said...

Pinky,
Thanks for the offer.

Etcetera mommy,
Yeah. It's really tough.

g,
Thanks.

Angeleyes,
SAHM is not an option now. Darrius was born on the 22nd too?

Nadia,
Thanks.

Malaika's mummy,
You are lucky to have the opportunity to be a SAHM.

Jazzmint,
Not quite :-( Read my follow-up post.

Sasha,
Given him the jab. Let's hope that he will be stronger.

cutieprincessmummy,
We are not prepared to take care of another person :-)

nadia,
Thanks, my friend.