Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

16 March 2007

Alone with Ethan

Like any other mother, I love to spend quality time with Ethan especially when only two of us are at home. I love to play with him and teach him new words and new tricks. I have taught him the sign language on how to say no more and bye bye, holds the blocks with two hands and knocks them together to make sounds, etc. He also learnt how to wink. I don't know who taught him that. He will wink and smile to us. Very cheeky. This morning, he saw me dressed up and quickly crawled over to me, grabbed my shirt, stand and asked me to hold him. Then, he waved bye bye to daddy ;-)

But...I'm scared when I need to attend to him alone for long hours especially on Saturdays, when hubby needs to work. I used to do the laundry, washing, cleaning, etc when he sleeps. But now, he takes very short naps. The most is 1 hour, twice a day. Sometimes, I only take my breakfast at 10 a.m. when Ethan takes his nap. Mind you, he wakes up at 7 a.m. I used to put him in the walker and lately in his cot when I need to go to the bathroom. Even then I will put him in front of the bathroom so that I can monitor him. He always wanted to climb out of his walker and cot when he was bored but did not managed to do it because he was not strong enough or maybe he was too short.

Recently, I saw him climbed out of his walker successfully when I was feeding him porridge. He will put his hands on the walker's tray, push himself up, body on the tray, one leg step on the seat and climb out. Phew! What a view. Then, one or two weeks after that, he climbed out of the cot. Same method. Luckily, I was there at that time and can grabbed him before he lands on the floor. He always try to push himself up by holding on to the cot's rail and I knew he will fall out of the cot one day if we do not keep an eye on him. Now, I really don't know what to do when nature calls and I cannot leave him unattended. Can you imagine if I put him in the cot infront of the bathroom while I poo and then suddenly he decided to climb out of his cot????


9 comments:

Nadia said...

I know what you mean! Sometimes when Irwan has some stuff to do on weekends, I'll be crossing my fingers that Irfan will sleep for long. And most times he has been. So, oklah. But when he doesn't want to co-operate, I won't be able to have my shower til after lunch! But so far, he hasn't started climbing out of the cotlah. We put his mattress to the lowest possible level and don't bring down the sides.

Shannon said...

wah, a real climber u have there...
but yes, like Nadia, I totally know how u feel... If I have to face Rachel alone, I can go bonkus...

Baby Darren said...

that's what i'm facing right now too..so totally understand ur situation. What i am doing now with darren is to create a big space and child prove the area for him to move around/crawl. Throw him lots of toys to occupy him. I can get at least a few minutes away from him. But make sure you still need to monitor him on and off by peeping on him.

etceteramommy said...

Wow, you have a lil monster there too huh.. like mine. Kakaka...

Aah... I have had my fair shair of *alone* time with Ryan.. and I almost went 'crazy'....Like Baby Darren, give him lots of space to venture around but stay close in case of uncertainties...

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

A portacot/playpen would do the job of preventing him climbing out but then again not everyone likes it. I'm sure u'll do great taking care of Ethan alone, survival instinct will kick in when needed. He's a smart kid, can wink already!!

jazzmint said...

i understand what u mean. when they are getting more mobile, we just gotta watch out more.

and i tell u, boys are totally so different from girls. At least my girl doesn't pick things up fr floor and eat.

CL said...

Malaika can always spot those tiny stuff that I dont see. And of course all goes to her mouth.

Today she swallowed a very tiny little piece of plastic, I was panicked. But then instinctively she puked past of her milk out and there I saw the tiny plastic.

I am sure you are doing your best. Give yourself a pat on the shoulder.

TheBlueRanger said...

Dear All,
Thanks for all the supports and ideas. Really appreciate it.

Pinky said...

I'm so used to it now cos hubby has to work almost every weekend particularly during the busy season. The first time was a bit hard but after awhile I just got used to it. But now with separation anxiety creeping in, it is almost next to impossible to leave him on his own be it in the playpen or cot