Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

19 January 2007

When can my baby drink water?

Another interesting but contradicting article from the same source.

-----------------------------------------------------------
When can my baby drink water?

By the BabyCenter editorial staff


Starting at about 6 months


Hold off on giving your baby water until he's about 6 months old, and limit it to about an ounce or two at a time -- ideally after meals. You don't want your baby to feel so full that he refuses to nurse or take his bottle. If your baby seems interested in taking occasional sips of water before 6 months of age, it's not going to hurt him. In fact, a little bit of water can help keep your baby hydrated in hot weather. But talk to his doctor if you're offering it before 6 months. Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. (....blink blink.....) In rare cases, babies who drink too much water can develop a condition known as "water intoxication," which can cause seizures (I HOPE THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUSPECTED FITS THAT ETHAN HAD)
and even coma.

"Babies don't really need water, or any liquid other than breast milk or formula, until after their first birthday," says Rachel Brandeis, a registered dietitian in Atlanta. After age 1, water and milk are Brandeis's baby beverages of choice. "You want to be sure juices don't displace milk in a baby's diet," she says. Once your baby celebrates his first birthday, you can let him drink as much water as he wants.


Tip: When you introduce water to your baby, offer it lukewarm, especially if you breastfeed or usually give your baby formula that's warmed up.


-----------------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

Shannon said...

wei wei, i gave Rachel water since birth... at 3rd month, MIL force fed her 3 oz of water at a go also... look at how chubby she is... hehehe....
but i think too much water also no good... just let Ethan decide lar, whether he wanna drink or not, that's my principal....

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

my baby never liked water and it is neither really encouraged nor discouraged to give water to infants - same reason, that they get enough water from BM or formula. But I've been giving my baby water since she was 5 months and she'd only take a sip or two each time until now.

Angeleyes said...

I bf Darrius exclusively for 6 months which mean not a drop of other liquid except breastmilk. This is recommended by WHO that all breastfed babies to only drink breastmilk.

My paed also told me that breastmilk is sufficient for babies' first 6 months... she even said that even formula fed babies should not drink water as it will dilute the nutrient from the FM.

I've gone through the 18-hrs breastfeeding course and most doctors & nurses encouraged to bf babies till 6 mth then offer other liquid.

Darrius rejected water initially when I 1st introduce him solid with water. But over time he taking in more as I make it a habit for him to drink water b4 starting his meals.

TheBlueRanger said...

I gave Ethan water since birth but he never liked it until he takes solid recently.

Hey, I didn't know there is breastfeeding course. I would have attended if I know about it. The antenatal class I attended only gave a brief introduction to breastfeeding :-(