Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

30 January 2007

CNY Nostalgia

I really like CNY especially when there is a family gathering. This year, my family will be going to Penang with my aunty's family. She's the youngest sister of my father but she passed away last month. I'm sad because she babysit Ethan for two months and Ethan has not had the chance to call him 'ku poh'. We will be staying in another aunty's (father's eldest sister) house. She is staying alone. I really really like family gathering because....because of what ar? Let me think first...

When I was young, CNY was a lot more merrier. I used to live in a village where neighbours are relatives and friends are relatives also. We have fireworks, lots of fireworks, on the first day of CNY. The whole floor of my house compound were red after burning the fireworks, which can last for 10 minutes. It's like a bed of roses....something like that lar. Then, we have the lion dance, which will go inside the house to pray and get the ang pow of course. Last but not least, we visit our relatives and to get more ang pows.

As I grow up, things changed a lot. My childhood friends (cum relatives), whom I used to play with almost every single day, became merely relatives. We hardly talk to each other because there is no common interest anymore. While I went on studying, most of them went to work, got married and moved away. As time goes by, we do not see each other anymore but I still treasure my childhood memories very very much. It's the best time of my life (minus the schooling).

Back then, CNY also meant visit to my mother's family. Those day, I was so much closer to my mother's side than father's side of the family. My mother has nine siblings and she's the youngest among them. So, lots of visiting to do (and lots of ang pow too). We got to wear new clothes (even underwears were new) and jewelleries (my mother made it mandatory). Things changed after my grandmother passed away when I was in Form 5. I still miss her very very much to the point that I met her several times in my dreams (I think grandparents are very important to children). There is no more focal point and people travel during CNY. Over the years also, some relatives passed away. So, who's there left to be visited? Only one or two in KL area. Sigh....

This year, I'm happy that we will have a gathering again after the last one, which was at least 3 or 4 years back. I want Ethan to know his relatives well and have good memories about CNY, like I did. Most important thing of all, get more ang pows...hahahaha

Although I'm a Christian now, CNY is something that I cannot miss. It's more like a tradition to me. It's part of my life. I don't care what other people say but how to not celebrate when I have been celebrating CNY for all my life. You tell me lar.....

Last but not least,
HAPPY CNY & VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL,
KISS KISS FROM ETHAN

7 comments:

Sasha Tan said...

he's kissing himself? Awwwwwwwww

Baby Darren said...

Hi,

I thot of organizing a small meet up for those mommy bloggers who have baby the same age as ours. I believe we will have lots to share and exchange experience since our babies are like just few days apart.

I am sending this to

1) Judy Chow - baby Terry - 8M 1W 3D old.
2) Shannon - Baby Rachel - 8M 3D old
3) NMOTB - Baby Aiden - 7M 4W 1D

Together with your baby Ethen and my baby Darren, will make it 5.

What do you think? Drop me an email if you are interested.

TheBlueRanger said...

sasha,
yup, you are right..he's actually licking himself on the mirror..he likes mirror
baby darren,
ok ok, will email you

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

the pic is too cute!!! all my christian friends celebrate CNY as a tradition (no joss sticks and all that lah), so does my family :D i am sure u'll have a blast during CNY! and it would be ur boy-boy's first time getting big fat ang pows too eh? wow!

TheBlueRanger said...

ha ha...the fatter the better

Pinky said...

So cute kissing himself... He probably doesn't know that the baby is him. To him, it is another cute and adorable baby *lol*

TheBlueRanger said...

ya, he likes babies and toddlers too