Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

30 June 2008

Bitten By A Girl

2 years, 1 month, 1 week & 1 day old.....


The incident happened on 25 June 2008 (last Wednesday). When I picked him up at the daycare, I was immediately told that Ethan was bitten by a girl because they were fighting for toys. They showed me the teeth mark on his right arm. Gosh.. it was a very perfect teeth mark as I can see almost every tooth the girl has. I was a little dumbfounded so I didn't ask further. I hope Ethan didn't do the same thing to others.

When they lifted the sleeve to show me the mark, Ethan said 'Ethan pain pain ar' but I'm glad he didn't cry although I'm sure he did when it happened. I'm so proud of him for being such a tough boy. He said the same thing to hubby when we got home but when I took photos of the mark, he said 'no more pain pain'. Hmmmm.......I don't know why he said that. Probably he wanted to concentrate on the tv and didn't want mummy to disturb him.

*****************************

On another note, I was contemplating to change daycare for him. The main reason is I'm not too happy with the staff arrangement at the current daycare. A teacher is hired to teach and look after Ethan's group (about 9 of them). She clocks in at 8a.m. and clocks out at 5p.m. sharp. Although a teacher is hired to teach them but there is no proper education system. The maid will take over from her after she leaves. I normally fetch him at around 5.30-6 p.m. Another teacher comes twice a week (I think) to teach them art/craft. The two lady bosses supervise the whole daycare and there were a couple of times I found none of them were there. They went out to run errands leaving all the kids with the staff.

I was on a half-day leave last Friday and I made an impromptu visit to a daycare near my place. It's a Montessori-based pre-school + daycare. They accept kids from 18 months up to 6 years old, which are separated into 3 groups. The youngest group is for 2-3 years old kids and there are 12 of them at the moment. A little too big for my liking but what I like about the place is each teacher is assigned to a group and they are qualified teachers. The principal is there to supervise as well. Another two teachers come few times a week to teach art and music. There is only one maid at the centre, whose responsibilities are cleaning and house-keeping. They have proper facilities and education system. I saw a whole lot of Montessori items at the centre.

We have just paid the half-yearly fee (RM250) for materials/art work at the current daycare and to switch to the new daycare will means that the fee is burnt. We have to pay another RM250 (for art/materials) at the new place too apart from deposit and registration fee. Both places are charging almost the same fee for daycare.

To be fair to the current daycare, their service is reasonably good but I think it's time for Ethan to move on. For the same fee, he will get proper education system. I know.......I'm being kiasu here. It's just my thought and I haven't discuss this with hubby. I briefly mentioned to him about my impromptu visit and my views but there was no feedback from him.

11 comments:

Baby Darren said...

hahahha...I thought love bite from his girlfriend...hahaha...

regarding his preschool....maybe you just let him complete this half year before changing him to another pre-school? At least ur RM250 won't get burn and also gives you more time to check for other centres.

Blessed mum said...

That's a pretty bad bite..poor Ethan...sayang

Its not easy hunting for the right and good school. I just psend closed to a month looking for a good one.

Maybe you can try him out for 1-2 days before you decide to put him there...also, did you try to talk to the supervisior about your concern? maybe by voicing out, it helps.

Nadia said...

Ouch! Sakitnya!

As for the new school, maybe you can ask if Ethan can try the place out for a couple of days before you really decide? It's never a really easy decision. Sigh. That's why Irfan's still not in any school. Haha!

Sasha Tan said...

OUCH!! pain pain! But he's a macho man look at him not so bothered by it also.

If u feel its time to change, just follow yr heart.U know best!

Anonymous said...

A lot has been commended about Montessori syllabus. Even my boy's Shichida class teacher said students with Montessori background does behave better and they stood out in class. Not sure how true la.

About being kiasu.. tell me.. which parent is not kiasu?

slavemom said...

The marks r so prominent. The girl must hv bitten vy hard. Poor Ethan. His 1st love bite turned out like that. hehehe
As for the current daycare, I think 1 teacher is not enuff to take care of 9 young tots. U shld voice ur concern to them if u want to continue with the current one.

jazzmint said...

wow the mark is quite deep. well, if u feel need a change..go for it :)

Angeleyes said...

woah! That was a huge love bite! :P

I find most of the daycares/schools in this country are overly commercialized... Are we getting what we are paying?

Wish you all the best in finding a good place for Ethan.

TheBlueRanger said...

baby darren and blessed mum,
i think i will switch him next year but maybe for a start, i send him to the new nursery for 2 days/week. in the mean time, i'll look for other centres in my neighbourhood.

i've discussed the issue on staffing with them before. they told me they tried to hire local staff/maid but it's difficult wor. most of them didn't stay long so they gave up.

nadia,
i've asked if ethan could go there and stay for an hour or so, to test the water. the principal said ok. i don't dare to ask for few days lar

sasha,
yeah, always follow our heart coz they never cheat

etc-mommy,
really? i like montessori coz i want ethan to learn through play and have fun, unlike my time. everything is so formal and homework, homework, homework. he still have to go through all this formal stuff when he enters primary school though. i wish i could send him to private school.

slavemom,
i was told that one of the maids and the lady bosses will help out on and off.

jazzmint,
thanks for the encouragement

angeleyes,
thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! My first time and I noticed that our sons are close in age.

I'm going to start him in preschool in China this Aug. I feel sorry for your son being bitten by the little girl - the principal should be *very firm* with the girl's parents about this. In fact, she should be kept in a different class from ur little boy. Although they are kids but imagine ur son's trauma about being bitten...

Having said that, I don't think you should move him out of the current preschool if you think it's good.

Moving too many times isn't good for any children esp if it's after a few months. He is learning to settle down, make friends and adjust to a schedule.

I'm not sure what you mean by "proper education system". Also, note that the Montessori-based system focuses on the cues from the child. You'd mentioned in one post your son crying and they shifted him back to the baby group.

This means he's not ready to be with the bigger group, that's why he cried. If he's ready, he'll be happy and confident. Focus on building his confidence and interest in learning first!

Then, everything else will fall in place. Good luck :)

TheBlueRanger said...

hello kittycat,

thanks for dropping by.

considering it's the first time she bit my boy, i just let it go. they've been together for over a year. if it happens again, i'll definitely say something.

you're right about letting him to settle down first with the current group. i got too excited about the new place in the beginning but after thinking it through, i do not want to hurry him into it. that's why i've decided to register him at a new place earliest by next year and maybe only for 2-3 days/week.

i'm very keen to let him try the montessori system bcoz i want him to get interested with learning as it is a learn through play system.