Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

09 July 2008

Potty Training: Part 3

2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks & 3 days old.....

The potty training was put on hold after the previous attempts failed. The method I used was a total failure. It gave Ethan the wrong signal. He associates potty to playing water. I can't remember exactly when I stopped training him. The two potties were lying there ever since.

4 July 2008 (Saturday)
While me and sis were at yoga class, mum took care of Ethan and my niece. She later told me that she took off his diaper and told him to tell 'poh poh' when he needs to 'shee shee' (pee). He didn't wet his pants in the first 30 minutes. Then, mum wanted to bathe him so she stripped him naked and asked him to pee first. He did it!! which means he can control his bladder quite well now and he can understand it when we ask him to pee.

5 July 2008 (Sunday)
I've decided to restart the potty training. So on Sunday morning, I followed the same method that mum used. I took off his diaper and put his pants back on. Hubby asked why? I said it's time to train him. He has poo-ed the night before so it's very safe to do it early in the morning. The first 30 minutes went by just fine. I asked him every 15 minutes if he wants to pee and he said 'don't want'. Then we bathe him and he peed before and after shower. We let him diaperless after shower too.

He was playing in the living area while hubby and myself were getting ready in the room. We wanted to go out to the mall. We got changed and it's time to change the little one. It was barely 20 minutes after the shower. As I walked out of our room, I found Ethan standing still outside the room, staring at me. Then, I saw little brown dropping on the floor. My eyes followed the trail. As my sights went further down the trail, my CURIOSITY was killed by HORROR!!! THERE'S A PILE OF POO ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!

I think I screamed after that. Yeah.........I must have screamed. Otherwise hubby won't come out and asked what happened. I told him "You see lar". He saw it and was stunned too. The three of us didn't move an inch but just looking at each other especially Ethan who hasn't move ever since he saw me. He looked so blur.

I wasn't angry at all that moment. Just felt like crying. Hubby asked me "What to do now?" and I told him instantly "You clean Ethan and I'll clean the floor". After all, it's my 'brilliant idea' to start the whole thing, so I should be cleaning up the mess too. He took off his pair of jeans and scooped Ethan up the floor. I grabbed the wet tissue and started the tedious process while holding my breath. I mopped the floor too. Geeeeeezzzz..........already sweating before we step out of the house.

6 July 2008 (Monday)
Still very determined to continue with potty training, I let Ethan go diaperless in the evening after shower. I asked him "Ethan, you want to shee shee?" 15 minutes after that and he said "want ar" and looked delighted too. I don't know why he looked delighted but quickly took out his potty and took off his pants. He peed for the first time in the potty after 3 days!! I felt some great sense of achievement after that and proud too.

After finished, he insisted of holding the potty and said "thow" (throw). I was worried that he'll spill the content of the potty. He was very persistent so I let him carry the potty to the bathroom. I just helped him to carry the potty and guided him to the right direction. I didn't tell him anything but, he emptied the potty on the W.C. by himself. Hmmmmm.........how he knows about it??? Could be the daycare but I haven't ask.

I repeated the same question every 15 minutes and he will pee in it without fail. He seems to be enjoying the process of peeing and emptying the potty. By 8.30 p.m., I got tired of cleaning his potty and changed him into PJ and put on his diaper. Phew!!!!! No accident.

7 July 2008 (Tuesday)
We repeated the same thing but this time, Daddy helped too. He wet his pants once but I still considered it a good start to a veeeeery looooooong process.

17 comments:

slavemom said...

Accidents r unavoidable at the beginning. But at least he's now able to tell u when he wants to pee. My boy has been in training for 3 mths, n when he tells us he wanna pee, he sometimes edi wet his pants a bit. It can be a looong process, so all the best to u n Ethan!

Anonymous said...

It will take a while for him to get used to it. Just be patient. If you think he's not ready...just stop then continue again later on. All the best!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahah... I had an almost same experience with my boy. Except that instead of pee, he poo-ed in the potty - which was bad enough cos he normally does it on WC. So hate the cleaning up rite. Arrgghhh!!!

Ethan.. Keep up the good work. Mommy and Daddy, jia yiu!

Blessed mum said...

Well Done both of You!

still a long way to go till he is able to go toilet on his own...All the Best!

CL said...

I have just re-started potty training Malaika too. I don't use potty cause disgusted by the end result, I bring her straight to the toilet, save the trouble. Perhaps you can ask Ethan every 45mins to 1hr after he first pee-pee, 15 mins gap seem a bit too short.

Ann said...

hey.....not bad also !!! Congratulations!!!

Hope he can tell when he wants to poo poo next time!!

Leona said...

Found your story on potty training interesting and funny. The way u were describing the whole encounter. I gave up potty training Ryan long time ago coz he absolutely won't sit on the potty. At least Ethan has a liking to the potty. I just take Ryan to the toilet and let him pee-pee standing on the toilet floor. For the poo poo, i still have no luck.

TheBlueRanger said...

slavemom,
good luck to you too

khongfamily,
thanks..

etc-mommy,
yeah yeah...the cleaning part put meo off a bit

blessed mum,
thanks...

malaika's mummy,
we have increased it to 30 minutes now :-)

ann,
let's keep our finger crossed. hate to think of another accident with the poo poo

leona,
i have no luck with poo poo too. until now, he has not poo in the potty.

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

oh wow, congrats ethan and mummy & daddy! this is awesome progress! i tried potty-training gib but he's just not ready for it yet. sigh. i'll tell u the story one day. but i'm taking mummykhong's advice for now. gib's not ready so i'll just have to try and try again later!

Nadia said...

WOW! Everyone's potty training their kids. I think I should start soon lerrr... ahahah!

Nways, congrats you guys! :)

Blessed mum said...

Hi..hope you have succeded the potty training...I have tag little Ethan with a Love Link tag..pass the love on when you are free : )

TheBlueRanger said...

babybooned,
i'll wait for the story then :-)

nadia,
thanks...i just realised quite a few mummies are blogging about it

blessed mum,
thanks, will check it out

sunshine said...

Thanks for sharing. I am reading all the true experiences from mommies around so that I am prepared for all the "surprises"...

nuhaafnan said...

omfg, i was thinking of re-potty training nunu soon and was mentally preparing myself for it, but reading this makes me break in sweat already. I'm soooo not ready for this! so stressful! but hats off to all 3 of you and wishing you better luck in the days to come ;p

come on ethan, you can do it!

Sasha Tan said...

yeah its so tiring when u need to ask "you wanna shee shee?" like every 15 mins but i guess seeing him pee its like the happiest moment. Macam kena lottery! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Me again..I tell you hor.. the stress from them yelling in the car 'they want to shee shee' is more head scratching than potty training at the first place. Arrghh...

TheBlueRanger said...

sasha,
pee is the consolation prize. The jack pot is poo, which i belum kena lagi. he has yet to poo in the potty.

etc-mommy,
i can imagine that. my friend has a potty in the car all the time. guess i'll do that also. and you know what? i saw some parents asking their boys to pee in the plastic (the one meant for vege) bag at tesco. that will be plan 'b' if there's no potty in the car. haha!!!