Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

29 April 2009

Writing, Reading, etc.

2 years, 11 months and 1 week old.....

There are some new developments on his writing/colouring and reading skills. He started colouring months ago and started to like it since then. On a good day, I can get 15 minutes of peace when he's in the mood to colour. In the beginning, he will coloured the whole page without following the picture lines. You can't see anything on the paper other than random colours. Just a few weeks back, I noticed that he can colour (almost) within the lines and you can (almost) see what is the thing he coloured.

I happened to buy a work book for colouring and writing (those alphabets with dotted lines) for him. I thought just let him colour and I will sit down one day and teach him to write some basic alphabets. Then on one fine day he took out the book and started colouring. I just let him be and did some chores. To my surprise, he traced along the dotted lines by himself. He also likes to draw lines. So, I bought a few more work books for him. This year, I'm determined to use up the RM1,000 allowance given for books for my income tax. So 'pissed' with Income Tax. I have even signed up for MPH member card. I've been contemplating to sign up before this but since I want to spend more on books this year, I've decided to sign up for it.

I drew a house with basic shapes for him to colour.
At least I can see a rectangle and a triangle after he coloured it.


Learning to write number 3.


An activity book I bought for him at MPH. It comes with
a marker but can be replaced with any white board marker
(non-permanent). You can write on it and wipe the ink off
easily with tissue paper thus can be re-used forever.


We just introduced him to online educational games
and he's hooked to it. Colouring is considered educational right?

As for reading, I also bought a few books for him during the recent book fair at PWTC. I always use book to lure him to go to bed so that he can settle down and sleep. I don't do it everyday lar coz sometimes I'm just too tired to read to him and attend to his 'WHY this, WHY that' questions. Sometimes, he will refuse to read also and want to play Ultraman with me. Just last night, I told him "Come we read book" and he said "We play first". So we played Ultraman. (He's Ultraman and I'm the monster).

Ok, I digress. Back to reading. At first, I read to him and he listens. Then, he started to ask questions. Later on, he learnt to read after me (his favourite being Humpty Dumpty). Now, he wants to read to me. He will point to the words and read in his own language. Although I don't understand his story, I'm glad that he likes book. Here's a short video clip on him reading. Don't worry if you don't understand what he reads coz you'll never will :-).

11 comments:

etceteramommy said...

LOL... I thought that was really good. He's interested in books, he's attempting to read and he has the patience. Well done Ethan boy and good job ob the colouring too.

Baby Darren said...

hahaha....i like listening to his reading. He is like talking French (a foreign language) to me and he sounded really cute.

He is so good that he can colour within the area and follow dotted lines. I guess the school does teach him all these.

Good job Ethan!!

Family First said...

Was that French or Spanish? Hahahah . sounds so nice actually. At least he got some story intonation .. tones up & down ... funny lar!

nuhaafnan said...

yup, indeed it sounds like french too to me! although we don't understand a word he says, i think it's brilliant that he has such a strong and clear voice while pretending to read, and seemed very confident in telling his story. absolutely priceless!

p/s: he has a unique husky voice too. nice!

Lemonjude said...

Bravo Ethan, see he can hold the pencil in quite a right way already...

glad that he loves all the reading and colouring..mine still don't have the patient in writing...always want me to do for him..

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

awww he sounds soo cute! he's doing really great, BR! what a proud momma u must be :)

Sasha Tan said...

he's very very good . i like the way he talks so cute.

Leona said...

Ethan holds the pencil very well for his age. And his voice sounds sooo cute...

slavemom said...

Wow... writing n colouring edi. Well done, Ethan!
Here's wishing him a vy Happy 3rd Birthday!

Nadia said...

Good that he's interested in books! :) Well done, Ethan!

Blessed mum said...

Well Done! My boy still at the scribbling stage.. Its good that he engaged in the story reading part.