Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

03 September 2008

First Day At School

2 years, 3 months, 1 week & 5 days old.....

I think I should call this place a school since it's a pre-school + daycare. I took leave yesterday to send Ethan to his new school. When we entered the school, the children (around 30+ of them, age 3-6 years old) and 3 teachers have already gathered and singing some songs. I was seated with Ethan at one corner doing the registration and paying the fees. He looked at the kids with great interest and he knows some of the songs too.

The fees totalled RM1,200+, which included two months of school+daycare fee, registration fee, two sets of uniform and I can't remember what else. After completing the registration, the principal invited Ethan for breakfast. I accompanied him to the dining area where the 3&4 year-old kids have started to eat. He sat there and fed himself. I saw his teacher, a nice & sweet Chinese lady, feeding one of the girls. She looks so caring and gentle with the kids. I was a bit relieved then.

After breakfast, we adjourned to the study area outside and the teacher tried to warm up with Ethan and played puzzles with him. She thought Ethan is 3 but I told her he's only 2. Ethan was quite absorbed with the games and I sneaked out. Experts said it's not advisable to sneak out but to tell the kids that we are leaving and we will come back to pick them up. Well, it doesn't work for Ethan. I've tried that numerous times. The more I explain to him, the louder he will cry. So, whenever the opportunities arise, I choose to sneak out.

The teachers leave the school in the afternoon and the kids will be taken care by two helpers. Both of them are local and around 40+ years old. There are only 7-8 kids in the daycare session, including Ethan. I picked him up at 5.30p.m. and was told that once he realised that I was gone, he started to cry and clung to the teacher. Other than that, he was ok. The aunty was very surprised that he can feed himself and refused to be fed.

Of all the questions I asked the principal, I forgot to ask whether they are Chinese based or English based. Ethan's teacher speaks excellent Mandarin but not so good with English. So, I think they are Chinese based. Whatever it is, it is still better than being taught by foreign maids. Furthermore, since we plan to send Ethan to a Chinese school next time, it's good to expose him to the language now. My Mandarin sucks, so there is no hope for him to pick up the language at home.

11 comments:

Lunz Lunz said...

Don't worry. Ethan will get used to the new nursery soon. It's just the matter of time to let him adjust.

Sarah said...

just wondering where is it?

Nadia said...

I hope this new nursery will be a better place. :) Good luck yeah!

Unknown said...

It definitely sounds better than the previous place. i Hope he will adapt well to the new school and learn more.

Did he asked u about the old place? where is kakak?

i've two weeks to go ...waiting to send him to new nanny. u know that L said Ethan left us..and he is leaving too...hahaha

slavemom said...

It's a good start. Hmm... I thot Montessori is Eng based. Anyway, u can chk with the principal later.

Baby Darren said...

it's good to expose them to multiple language..so since you can;t teach him mandarin at home, hope he can pick up mandarin in school then.

I'm sure Ethan will adjust well since he is a sociable boy. I also think talking to them about leaving never work coz, sneaking away still the best way..hahahaha...

Lemonjude said...

Glad that he is alright..and I'm sure he can soon adapt the new place and new study environment.

For chinese no worries, they can pick up fast now in speech..next time he even can teach you back...

Ann said...

Oh...glad that it turned out alright!

Wasn't that hard for you....it gets hard when we see our kids cry.

And he will be loving school and his new friends in no time!

Hope he doesn't pick up any 'bad' mandarin words!:)

Blessed mum said...

This centre sound good. :)

TheBlueRanger said...

lunz lunz,
i'm keeping my finger crossed

sarah,
care to give me your email?

nadia,
thanks!

annie,
until now he still say 'no kakak!' whenever we ask him 'want kakak?'

slavemom,
hmmm...will investigate on this one. thanks for the info. i don't really know much about the montessori system

baby darren,
it's definitely more practical than talking sense to them

lemonjude,
hehe....then he can teach his daddy also

ann,
no so easy on the 2nd & 3rd day...the tough keeps coming

blessed mum,
hope it is as good as it sounds, not just some good marketing talks

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.