Jensen's age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ethan's age

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

12 March 2008

It Was Ear Infection Lah

21 months, 2 weeks and 5 days old.....

The fever came back on Thursday evening, 6 March 2008. Needless to say, we made another visit to the paed. When I picked Ethan up at the daycare, I felt his body was warm. Bad sign! Checked his temperature once we reached home and it was 38.9C. Gave him medicine at 6.30 p.m. and called the clinic to make appointment.

Ethan has developed fear for doctors. I don't know why because the paed. is very friendly and gentle. When we arrived at the clinic, he was all ok and happy. He loves to be surrounded by children. But when we were called to the waiting room, he started to recognise things and asked his daddy to open the door and wanted to get out of the room. Things got worse when we went to the adjoining room to see the paed. The moment he saw the paed. he held on very tightly to his daddy and refused to look at the paed. The cry and wailing started when the doctor took his temperature. After checking his temperature, ears and throat, the doctor confirmed that it's ear infection and prescribed antibiotics for him. I think it's the third time for Ethan.

He was on the road of recovery after taking the antibiotics - but it's only his health not emotion. After this episode of sickness, Ethan became extremely CLINGY and 'UNREASONABLE'. He also developed a liking to cry whenever his wish was not fulfilled. He was never...NEVER... a 'cry' baby. Before this, he will only whine whenever he's unhappy or in pain but now, tears came rolling down his cheek within a second.....YES! ONE SECOND when things did not go his way. A sign of terrible two?

He refused to sit on the car seat (at the rear) and wanted to sit on the front passenger's seat. I gave up and put him in front with the safety belt strapped on him. He cried and wailed every morning when I drop him at the daycare. He even pulled my shirt and refused to let go. But he will stop shortly after I left. I witnessed that so I was kind of assured that he will be ok even though I look like a cruel mum, who left her son despite the crying and shirt pulling. I'm sure whoever saw the situation will think I'm a blardy cool blood mother. In that moment, I felt that way too.

I was late for work EVERY single morning since last Monday because I couldn't get up in the morning (due to the frequent wake-up at night) and Ethan refused to let go of me at the daycare. The worst was last Friday when I reached the office 1 hour late because I tried to settle him down before I left. Whoever came close or called out his name, he will cry. Tried various methods but all FAILED. In my last attempt, I sat with him on the swing for a good 15 minutes. In the end, he still cry when I left. FUTILE efforts.

14 comments:

Sasha Tan said...

its like that la..when they are sick they tend to be cranky for no reason, cry for no reason, clingy like koala. But it will be ok soon.

Hope he is well soon

CL said...

have a speedy recovery, Ethan.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear... maybe Ethan has not fully recovered? When R was down with throat infection he was very clingy too. It took about 2 weeks after his recovery that he's not so sticky. Hang in there for a lil while. :D

TheBlueRanger said...

sasha,

he has recovered and i hope the clingy-ness will end really soon.

malaika's mummy,
he's ok now. thanks.

etc-mommy,
it's 2 weeks already lor. just hope it will end soon.

slavemom said...

They'll surprise us with new behaviour every now n then eh. And usually, it's those not-too-appealing behaviours. :D
My boy is oso prone to ear inf. Really hate that coz it's vy diff to apply the ear drop.
Hope this phase will pass soon.

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

BR, you're no stranger to taking care of an ill child, I know. Hang in there.. hopefully this clinginess is something he'll eventually get over once he's feeling a hundred percent healthy and secure again. hugss to both of u!

TheBlueRanger said...

slavemom,
oh, luckily i don't have to put the ear drops.

babybooned,
hey, thanks. lets hug!

Nadia said...

Get well soon Ethan!!!

Baby Darren said...

Glad to hear that Ethan has recovered. Phew!!!

I think the kids are having terrible two syndrome coz darren also behaved the same after his sickness. It lasted till now and I am getting less patience with him lately.

I can totally understand how u feel with his "terrible" clinginess and irrational demands.

Kelly said...

Guess u hv settle most of your mummy issues... so u everyday late to work, ur boss also 'OK' meh??
NOw i got my headache... don't know to change job or not??? ARHHHHH>..... family or career?? family or career?? hard to choose!

TheBlueRanger said...

darren's mummy,
the feeling is suffocating isn't it

kelly,
i'm lucky coz my boss is very understanding. that is one very important thing when we are working

Blessed mum said...

Fully comprehen your feeling..mine also become very clingy whenever he's is sick...Do you think he is now going through separation anxiety?

hope u don't mind me putting your link to my blog.

Anonymous said...

poor ethan and u too, ethan's mommy!
hope all those fevers will stay away, far far away from ethan!

TheBlueRanger said...

blessed mum,
thanks for dropping by and i'm more than happy that you want to link me up :-)

it could be due to separation anxiety but it looks more like he's throwing tantrum than letting out his worries.

mommibee,
thanks! we are all well now